Workout: 4 miles/33:41/8:22
So, after missing my run on Sunday I was up early for an easy 4 mile run. It was cold this morning but I enjoyed being back out there for my morning run. After reading this post , I really was craving potato soup. But, I had just been the grocery store and bought a ton of sweet potatoes and am trying to cut back on unnecessary grocery trips and be more frugal with our grocery spending, so I thought I would try a warm, sweet potato soup. I made just a small batch because I was not sure how they would turn out, but has been warming on my stove top and I can’t wait to have some hot soup for dinner. Olivia already had a sneak peak for lunch and she seemed to approve.
Here is the recipe (from allrecipes.com)
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 3 (14 ounce) cans low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Black pepper to taste
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Bake sweet potatoes in preheated oven until soft, about 1 1/2 hours (you can also use a microwave). Remove and let cool slightly.
- Peel sweet potatoes, and puree with chicken broth in batches, using enough chicken broth so that it purees smoothly. Bring puree to a simmer in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in the sugar, salt, nutmeg, black pepper, and cayenne pepper; cover, and let simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in cream.
In general, I prefer sweet potatoes over white potatoes because they a little less starchy. This recipe was delicious so I will definitely be making it again! Anyway, now that my run is done, house has been cleaned, laundry almost finished, and dinner is prepped, I love having the afternoons to relax, drink a cup of coffee, and spend some time with my daughter.